Warm Soup For A Cold Winter Day
It is soup season here, and there is nothing quite like sitting down to a bowl of heart warming goodness. With that in mind we thought we would share this very simple French Onion Soup recipe. With only a handful of ingredients it is cheap, straight forward to make, and will warm the cockles of your heart.
You can adapt as needed to make gluten and dairy free.
6-8 Large Onions
1 1/2lt of Vegetable Stock
150ml Worcester Sauce
Black Pepper & Salt
1 1/2 cups croutons (either fresh made or store bought)
500 gm Swiss Cheese
- Slice the onions thinly and put into a large heavy bottomed pot.
- Add the butter and slowly cook over a low heat until the onions have caramalised and turned a deep golden brown.
- Add the vegetable stock and worcester sauce, include the salt and pepper to taste, bring to the boil and then reduce to a low simmer for about 1 hour.
- Transfer the soup to an oven safe / casserole dish. If your oven has a grill turn it on, otherwise turn the over on to high 250°.
- Cover the surface of the soup with croutons, just enough to cover the top.
- Layer the cheese on top of the croutons. It helps if you can over lap the edge of the baking dish the the cheese.
- Bake in the over (preferably under the grill) until the cheese bubbles and turns golden.
July 24th, 2019|Mana Kitchen, Recipes,