Have you been looking for a new soup recipe that is heartier and more filling than your usual creamed spinach? When it comes to the recipe of choice for the next soup night, this hearty red lentil and spinach dahl recipe is the best option.
Flavorful and comforting, this easy to prepare Dahl is a fabulous, healthy Whole Foods Plant-based entree.
PREP TIME: 10 MINS.
COOK TIME: 10 MINS.
- Large pot
- 2 cups red lentils sorted and rinsed
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp peel and grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¾ cup carrots diced small
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4½ cups water
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 handfuls of baby spinach chopped
- chopped fresh cilantro or parsley (optional), for garnish
- dried red chili flakes (optional)
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add ¼ cup of water and saute the onions for about 5 minutes until softened adding more water if necessary.
- Stir in cumin, turmeric, garlic and ginger and cook for about 1 minute. Stir continuously to toast, but not burn, the spices.
- Add the carrots, lentils, zest, salt, pepper and water. Bring to a boil, then cover the pot and turn the heat down to summer.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils have softened. Depending on your lentils, you may need to simmer for a shorter or longer time.
- Once softened, stir in the lemon juice and spinach. The heat of the Dahl will wilt the spinach.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley and dried red chili flakes, if desired. Serve with a side of brown rice or coconut brown rice.
Recipe was sourced from beantownkitchen.com by Diana with many thanks.