Try out these delicious tangy marinated grilled veggies from Angry BBQ!
Michael Hass, the co-founder of Angry BBQ got in touch with us to share some of his inspired vegetarian BBQ ideas and boy did we get excited when we discovered this one!
This char-grilled recipe has proven to be a favourite and a great way to eat your share of vegetables. You can really use any veggies but yellow peppers, orange peppers, red peppers, red onion, and mushrooms tend to be a favourite.
Michael did say that the one veggie to always have on hand for this recipe, are mushrooms. He said, “They really soak up the marinade and add to the taste of the entire skewer. Otherwise, feel free to use whatever veggies you have on hand. Other additions may include eggplant, squash, or zucchini. Feel free to experiment!”
We gave it go and added pineapple to the mix… a pretty good idea it turns out.
The recipe below will give you all you need to get started and if you are interested in seeing photos of cooking process you can check out the original post over on Angy BBQ,
Ready your tastebuds…
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 8 mins
Marinating time: 4 hrs
Total time: 4 hrs 33 mins
- BBQ/Grill; gas, pellet, or charcoal
- Knife cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Mixing bowls with lid
- BBQ tongs
- BBQ skewers or grilling pan
Vegetable skewer ingredients
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1/2 large red onion
- 450g button mushrooms
*Substitute in your favourite veggies as desired………squash, zucchini, or eggplant… be creative!
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 Tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oregano
- 1 1/2 Tbsp basil
- Chop red onion, yellow pepper, red pepper, and orange pepper. The larger the better. Your veggies will shrink when grilling so typically about 2″ x 2″ works great.
- Place chopped veggies with mushrooms into a large mixing bowl.
- Combine soy sauce, oil, white wine vinegar, sugar, oregano, & basil in a smaller mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Pour the marinade over veggies in a larger bowl and cover with a lid. Gently, toss the vegetables in the marinade.
- Place veggies and marinade in the refrigerator and let sit for 4-6 hours.
- If using wooden skewers; it is important to soak the skewers just prior to grilling for about 20 min. (or follow the skewer package instructions).
- After 4-6 hours, remove the veggies from the refrigerator and begin stacking the veggies onto the skewers. Interchange the pepper colors, onions, and mushrooms. I like to ensure that every skewer has 2 mushrooms at least; as they burst with flavour. (Alternately when in a rush I have omitted the skewers and just tossed the marinated veggies in a grill pain over the BBQ or on the stove….. the flavor is still there but the skewers are more fun.)
- Preheat grill to medium heat (190-205°C ).
- Oil the grill gates with a little bit of vegetable oil.
- Grill for approximately 4 min per side; or until veggies appear lightly charred and tender.